Saturday, March 08, 2014

FO: Catterick Hat by Rachel Coopey

  
As soon as I saw the previews for Rachel Coopey's new Toasty collection, I knew I had to buy it.
And when the book arrived, I cast on straight away.
This is the Catterick Hat.
I made the smallest size, thinking it was for a girl.  No girl in particular, but definitely a female.
However, while we were sitting in the hospital yesterday, I popped it on (with needles still in place) to entertain the waiting room, and FL immediately declared his interest.  He has really been feeling the cold lately and wanted a hat that covers his ears and the back of his neck - perfect!
As we were in there all day, from 10am to 6pm, I had plenty of time to work on it.  I finished it this morning.
The yarn is a gorgeous soapy-soft merino / cashmere/ bombyx silk mix, "Sunna" by Spirit Trail Fiberworks.  It was a Knit Love Club yarn back in 2010.
  

Verdict?
This is the first smile I have seen in days.
FL had hoped to travel to Newcastle this weekend for a friend's 70th birthday party.  However, the doctor said it was absolutely out of the question.  
His myeloma is back with a vengeance.
Yesterday brought an emergency infusion of fluids as he is suffering from hypercalcaemia:  high levels of calcium in his blood. 
They also took x-rays of his lungs and spine.  He has lost height in recent weeks, which suggests collapsed vertebrae.  And he has a rattling cough that just won't go away.
So another blood sample was sent off to Birmingham.  His February Freelite test showed another large increase in his kappa light chains score.  There is every reason to believe that the cancer is on the rampage.
Back to the hospital on Tuesday to see the consultant.
At least he has a warm head.

30 comments:

Lucy said...

And a very stylish warm head at that.

Thinking of you both.

Sarahel said...

Great pictures of a great hat. You made me aware of Rachel Coopey and I have been admiring pictures of Toasty.

So very sorry to hear a little of what you're facing. Supportive vibes being sent to you both.

Jennifer C said...

Love the hat! It looks great on FL.
Thinking of you......

K.Line said...

Giving you and FL all of my warmest and healthiest thoughts. xoxo

Yukon RN said...

Hugs and Good thoughts are "e-transmitting" to you both.

ravelledsleeve said...

I'm sorry to hear that FL's health isn't good, but he looks very handsome in his new hat. I love the colour!

tim's wife said...

Hope they rein that MM nonsense back in. Prayers for both of you.

Toni Ladd said...

Very lovely hat and fellow. You both are in my thoughts and prayers!

Toni in Portland, OR

jessica said...

Such a becoming hat on such a becoming man! Sending positive vibes your way.

Penny said...

The cables are great. ((Hugs)) Thinking of you.

Marie said...

What a beautiful smile - it must feel great knowing it was your lovingly hand knitted hat that achieved that. Thinking of you both!xx

Sew little time said...

It must be great to see him smiling. Thinking of you both

Lizzi said...

x

Valerie said...

What a wonderful hat and it looks good on FL.

Emma said...

FL wears that hat well! I like colours like that on men. Makes a nice change from dark and dull. :0)
So nice to see a smile, albeit a rare one. I do hope that FL gets some help for his persistent cough. It must make him feel miserable.
Hard days for him and for you.

tccomments2013 said...

dear roo,

Fl looks so cozy and handsome in that wonderful hat you made. I send you both loads of warm (really Warm! for FL) hugs for comfort and lots of big hope for successful interventions to quell the mean uglies that are making FL feel so miserable. and roo, take good care of yourself, too. glad you have your knitting to always soothe you in hard times.

much love and light,

karen

MaryinTN said...

Lovely hat on a wonderful man! So glad FL is enjoying the warmth of the hat and very sorry to hear MM has reared its ugly head again. DH and I are keeping you and FL in our thoughts and prayers.

Nita said...

How lovely that such a small gift made by your hands can bring so much pleasure.

Lynn said...

Wonderful hat -- not wonderful new about the MM. Keeping you in my thought and prayers.

Lynn

Unknown said...

The hat looks great, a lighter colour always shows off the detail better. My thoughts are with you and FL.

rosylea said...

A handsome smile under a handsome hat! My thoughts and good wishes to you both.

Gibson Mile End said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
clb said...

Longtime reader who doesn't comment often (browser issues!) Hoping this one gets through with a ton of good wishes for you and your handsomely behatted chap. All the very best.

beate grigutsch said...

thinking of you and your handsome hat model!

Susie Hemingway said...

love the hats both yours and hubby's, sorry to read that the Myeloma is causing such problems - I sincerely wish for easy days now that Spring has arrived. All very best wishes.

Probably Jane said...

Sometimes your knitting just knows where it belongs. Clearly a man and a hat who were meant for each other.

starryfishathome said...

Lovely hat! Sorry to hear of the MM recurrence, sending warm thoughts north.

Claire Park said...

I hope the warmer weather brings you both a little relief and much needed sun.
Xx

Sandy said...

I've been out of contact for awhile, and am distressed at this news for both of you.

The cap you made for FL certainly looks toasty and is a great color.

From here on, just know that you are both on my Reiki list for energy and healing in whatever form that is going to take.

Unknown said...

Hi Ruth. This is Ed (Andre's spouse). I moved to NYC from Vancouver last July to start medical school. Our ordeal with MM inspired me to pursue this new goal.

It's been a long time since I've been to your blog. I'm sorry to hear FL's MM is on an upswing. I'm sending both of you tons of positive vibes. All the best, Ed.