Saturday, March 22, 2014

FO: Deer & Doe Anemone Skirt and Plantain Tee

  
Stats:
Patterns:
Anemone Skirt and Plantain Tee, both by Deer & Doe, both size 38
Fabric:
Grey/green organic cotton twill from Mirablau on Etsy, about £24 for 1 metre including shipping from Germany; lined with apple green antistatic lining from stash.  Next time I would order more fabric - this was a tight squeeze.
Onyx (black) Robert Kaufmann cotton jersey from The Eternal Maker with Pepper elbow patches, 1.5m, £22.50 (but there is still enough left to make a short-sleeved top)
Other:
23cm invisible zip  (don't try this at home, kids - a longer one is a safer bet)

Process:
This was a really straightforward pair of projects.
I had made the Plantain before, and I made a much better job of the elbow patches this time around because I followed the instructions and sewed them on with a straight stitch instead of trying to zig-zag round the curves.
I decided to make the Anemone skirt in the peplum version and lengthened it by 3.3cm.  I would make it a bit longer next time, as the waist comes up higher than I expected when I measured myself.
It fit me perfectly without any adjustments - amazing!
The instructions for stitching the lining worried me as I was convinced I would get it caught up in the zip, but it all worked out fine.
The only thing that went wrong was the hem.
Because I was trying to keep it as long as possible, I faced the bottom edge of the twill with satin bias binding and then slip-stitched that to the lining as instructed... but it was a mess.

See what happened?
First attempt at the hem
I made myself a bubble skirt!

For my second attempt, I machine-stitched along the edge of the satin binding, and hemmed the lining separately, leaving it to hang free.
Much better!
Verdict?
I love both parts of my new outfit, together and apart.
The sober colour of the fabric hopefully stops the skirt from being too "young" for me.  I was tempted to make it in metallic-finish denim, but this will be more wearable for work.
I am definitely going to make it again, without the peplum:  the other view has decorative buttons at the waist - ooh yeah!

20 comments:

Jen Forsythe said...


That's a great outfit. The shape of the skirt is lovely with the panels and the peplum detail. Very smart looking.

christinelaennec said...

Very, very lovely clothes you make, Roo! It looks like a lovely evening light as well. Pretty anemones!

Alice said...

Funny, I just cut this out this evening! So I'm double pleased yours looks so good! I hope mine will be as nice as yours but I'm suspecting the fabric I'm using might be a bit heavy. We'll see. I'm hoping the length will be okay on me as it is (5ft 2) I'm forty-eight and, whilst I don't mind wearing shorts in the summer, a skirt that goes half way to my knickers would be undignified!

Your top is really cool too...

Colleen said...

This skirt pattern was absolutely made for you -- I love it and the Plantain too. One of my favorite makes of yours, if not my favorite!

Shar said...

I bought and made the Kelly skirt due to loving your versions and I may have to do the same with the Anemone. What a great outfit! I never seem to sew things that go together. Our first crocus just bloomed today and our daffs are just barely above ground so it's so nice to see the beautiful spring flowers in your pictures.

K.Line said...

I love this skirt! I haven't noticed it before, even though those D&D patterns are on all the blogs. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

beate grigutsch said...

wow! great work!
the finish of the skirt looks perfect!
i like the color, but i would lengthen it too for harmony in the proportions.
but i really wonder why they say that you should sew the hem of the outer skirt to the lining????? i learned - and all the other tailors/dressmakers around here - that you never do this on skirts. only if you want to have a bubble skirt...

verykerryberry said...

The skirt is great on you, I just love their fit- the 38 fits me perfectly too, a rare thing for a fit straight from the packet. Love the red tights with the khaki too.

verykerryberry said...

The skirt is great on you, I just love their fit- the 38 fits me perfectly too, a rare thing for a fit straight from the packet. Love the red tights with the khaki too.

Sarah said...

Great makes, Roo! I don't think the skirt is too young for you at all. You look great!

Jeanette Archer said...

This skirt is on my to do list, I have pattern and fabric waiting. Seeing yours just makes me want to go and get started on mine, it looks fabulous!

rosylea said...

It's lovely, and I like the colour too. Mine is waiting for the right mojo, and noting your comments about the length I'm glad I have had this little wait as I'm a good few inches taller than you....

Maeve said...

Roo, this is a gorgeous outfit. The skirt really suits your shape. I love the styling with the red tights & docs. Spring is here :))

Annettejongl said...

I love your skirt, It's great with the plantain!!!

Scruffybadger said...

What an outfit!! They both look super together but the joy of separates that can be worn apart!! It's a really great version of the anenome, cracking work ms Roo!

madeinoxford said...

These both look great. I'll admit to skepticism when I first saw the skirt pattern popping up here and there - I wasn't convinced about the peplum! But in that fabric and on you, it looks awesome. Fun and functional all at the same time!

Sew little time said...

lovely. i'd love to see a sparkly denim version too though!

jessica said...

Gorgeous! So love watching your style continue to emerge! The skirt looks eminently work appropriate. ... deer and doe does it again!

Rehanon Mackenzie said...

You look lovely and at the same time very efficient but in a rebellious kinda way. It's like damn the man because I can do it my freaking self.

Joy said...

I've been unsure about the Anemone, but it is soo pretty on you. The whole outfit/color scheme works really well.