Saturday, March 15, 2014

This Weekend in Words and Pictures

Settle down, pick up your knitting and the beverage of your choice and lets pretend this is a podcast.
Just don't expect to hear my voice...
I already showed you my latest finished socks:  Arnulf.
I thought I would do the decent thing and get back to the second Solar Flair sock.  But honestly?  It isn't making my heart sing to work on this right now.  It triggers my RSI like no other pattern I know.  And I keep thinking I should have used that lovely HazelKnits yarn to make another Vintage Fremont shawl - it would have been perfect!
This project is going back into the darkest corner of the sofa, behind my Monte Rosa cardigan.
No, I haven't done any work on that, before you ask.  Maybe tonight.
But first I want to cast on for another Rachel Coopey hat, the Ripon.
I met up with my dear friend Christine last Saturday.  While we lunched (on goats cheese, beetroot and raspberry salad with pecans and balsamic dressing - oh wow - bliss!) at Touched by Scotland, I was enthusing about the Toasty collection, and she volunteered her head measurement and the yarn to make her one of these hats - yay!  A willing victim!
This is JC Rennie wool, a lighter weight than the pattern recommends, so I might need to make a larger size.  Swatch for a hat?  I don't think so.  Not me.
Also pictured is the amazingly "me" purse which she gave me - look at those 70's styles!  It is Jackie magazine all over again!  I am planning to store my crochet hooks inside.  I only have two so far, but I have the feeling my collection may start to grow quite quickly, as I am hooked!
Here is the Inside Crochet Mystery Blanket as it looked this afternoon.  It is incredibly "open" in the centre, but becomes denser as you work your way outwards.  It covers my knees already!
I now have four copies of Inside Crochet and a serious crush on several patterns.  The Blue Notes Cowl has had me trawling the web for Malabrigo Rios, but I am holding off buying any more yarn for crochet projects until I get this blanket finished.
In sewing news, I have been rustling up another batch of gift-able project bags.
It doesn't seem worth it to set up the machine for just one bag, so I tend to make them three at a time.
And I have cut out my first Deer and Doe Anemone skirt.
I am making the peplum, version using some grey / green organic cotton twill.
I managed to squeeze it out of just one metre of fabric, but I seriously do not recommend trying this at home - talk about a dangerous sport!  1.4 metres would be a far more sensible length to buy.
I went into Inverurie to the local fabric shop to buy a zip this morning, but failed to realise it should have been 40cm long.  So there won't be a finished skirt this weekend.  That's OK - I'm not in a rush.

While I was in town I dropped off a few more bags of goodies at various charity shops.
I was watching an episode of The Hoarder Next Door on TV a couple of weeks ago, where the psychologist who presents the programme asked a woman to go through her clutter and identify objects which made her feel "safe" and "unsafe".  Ooh!  There's a new approach!  She discovered that she had been hiding away things that provoked feelings of sadness and loss.  She had literally been burying them under stuff.
And it struck me immediately that I was "guilty" of exactly the same thing...
Meet my 20-year-old unfinished quilt project:

I had this stashed away in the secret drawer of my wardrobe.
Stelios would have a field day!
I started making this when The Boy was having his afternoon naps in his cradle.
All too soon, when he was just 6 months old, I had to return to my job and really struggled with my work / life balance.  Looking back, I suspect I had post natal depression.
This quilt became the Great Big Painful Unfinished Object.  I stitched away at it, off and on, until The Girl was born.
Then, suddenly... the sun came out in my parenting life.  Yay! 
By that point, their dad and I could just afford for me to stay at home with the kids and I spent the next two and half years being "mummy" instead of pretending to be a super-duper London career woman (a role at which I sucked).
The quilt was put away in a bag.
The bag travelled to Scotland with me in 2004.
It went into the secret drawer and has stayed there ever since.
Today I took it to the Garioch Charities Shop, a destination I chose with care, as I know it to be a place where they keep a button box under the counter.  The ladies who staff that shop will not just lob this into landfill as rubbish, they will recognise it as an Unfinished Handmade Object and put it in the basket beside the vintage tablecloths, where another crafter will find it and see its potential.
And that thought makes me very happy indeed.
This psychotherapy lark really works you know! ;)

11 comments:

Nita said...

Oh, I love that you did that. It will be snapped right up and before you know it it will be finished up by another quilter and have found its way into the arms of a child in a hospital or a teen mother or a woman in a shelter. :) hard to let fo of things like that, I know. Think of it as paying it forward. :)

Star speckles said...

That's a great idea, I know I have those things lurking...

christinelaennec said...

Aww, thanks Roobeedoo! It was just wonderful to see you. I'd forgotten that I measured my head right before lunch was served - good thing I had my tape measure handy! Thank you very much for the hat in advance. Let me know if the yarn is really unsuitable.

It's so interesting what you say here about holding on to painful things. I found that was true when we did our big sift before moving house last year. Odd how our loyalties can get so misplaced...

Your crochet is really splendid!

Jan Hicks said...

Such a brilliant idea - think of the joy that act will bring to someone! Could I ask your advice? I have the Vintage Freemont pattern - did you make yours on circular needles? I love this pattern but have never knitted anything like it before - I think I may have bitten off too much here!

Valerie said...

I am glad you passed it on and I am sure it will be appreciated. I have two unfinished quilts hidden away simply because I have never gotten around to finishing them. Oops.

Roobeedoo said...

Hello Jan - yes I used a circular needle just so I would have plenty of length when it got longer. You start it on straights, but would need to switch about halfway through. It is really easy - honest!

madeinoxford said...

That sounds like just the right thing to do with that quilt. Someone will finish it, I'm sure, but that job is often best done by someone who didn't start it.

I'm so glad I'm not the only person doing four or five things at once, while other things lurk under the chair until they start behaving. It's very reassuring to hear that I'm not daft, just busy ;)

Spikeabell said...

Hullo Roo, I only took up crochet a few years ago, it can be much freer than knitting and as you have found out much easier to frog. I can hardly bear to with knitting but no problems pulling out crochet.one of the crochet blogs I very much enjoy... Attic 24 http://attic24.typepad.com/

Rehanon Mackenzie said...

well done for having a sort out. I did the same thing earlier this year with thing that have been lingering in my cupboard for too long making me feel guilty. It will definitely find a new happy home. I'm currently taking a break from a knitting project and crochet some moccasins. Forgot how quickly crochet grows. That purse is lovely.

therealhotcheese said...

You have been a busy lady indeed. I have been drooling over the same hat in Coop's new Toasty Knits book. It looks like a really fun knit. Your Arnulf socks looks great!

tim's wife said...

I have an entire "log cabin" quilt top pieced together. It has been in a drawer probably 17 or 18 years now. It just needs the borders sewn on and then to be put together with the batting and backing fabric. Problem was, we got a Labrador, who took to sleeping on the bed and having morning wrestling bouts with Tim, and I knew it would ruin the quilt. When we lost her, I planned to finish it and didn't. Then, we got a beagle, who took to sleeping on the bed and sparring with me at night. Some day, I will finish it, I spose.